Re: Ocopy and Archived Logs

From: Gary <gjwatersjr_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 15:38:17 -0700

ddf wrote:
> There is no such command; ocopy is merely the standard copy command
> 'gussied up' to allow it to copy files currently in use. It is not a
> fully featured backup utility; for that you use RMAN.
>

> David Fitzjarrell

I figured as much. Thanks for the response.

The trouble I'm having is knowing when to remove unneeded archive logs. Currently, I remove older logs based on the file creation date. I figure that retaining logs created at least a day before the most recent successful backup should guarantee that the first archive log in the restore sequence will be present. This is error prone, I know. I was hoping the DB would keep track of the name of the first archive log after the ocopy was started, but seeing as ocopy just concurrently copies the datafiles, it makes sense that it doesn't.

Regarding RMAN vs ocopy, I inherited this setup and plan to change it in the future. To what, I'm not sure. I've heard RMAN is complicated (never used it). I'm after something simple like exp, but faster. Received on Tue Dec 08 2009 - 16:38:17 CST

Original text of this message