Managed recovery not working on Standby Database.

From: trub3101 <trub3101_at_sky.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 12:45:31 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition 10.2.0.3.0 Platform Windows Server 2003

I am at a loss as to why managed recovery is not working on my standby database as expected. All the archivelogs have transported successfully across from the primary database to the standby database but no recovery occurs on the standby.

Below are the details I have managed to gather so far. Of particular interest is the value of 'RECOVERY_MODE' which is 'IDLE' even though I started the standby correctly numerous times i.e.

shutdown immediate;
startup nomount;
alter database mount standby database;
alter database recover automatic managed standby database disconnect;

Anyway, this is what I have gathered so far:

SQL> archive log list

Database log mode              Archive Mode
Automatic archival             Enabled
Archive destination            USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST
Oldest online log sequence     627
Next log sequence to archive   0
Current log sequence           629
SQL> l
  1  select	ds.dest_id id
  2  ,	ad.status
  3  ,	ds.database_mode db_mode
  4  ,	ad.archiver type
  5  ,	ds.recovery_mode
  6  --,	ds.protection_mode
  7  ,	ds.standby_logfile_count "SRLs"
  8  ,	ds.standby_logfile_active active
  9  ,	ds.archived_seq#
 10  from	v$archive_dest_status	ds
 11  ,	v$archive_dest		ad
 12  where	ds.dest_id = ad.dest_id
 13  and	ad.status != 'INACTIVE'
 14  order by
 15* 	ds.dest_id

SQL> /  ID STATUS DB_MODE TYPE RECOVERY_MODE SRLs ACTIVE ARCHIVED_SEQ#
--- --------- --------------- ---- ---------------- ---- ------

---------------
2 VALID MOUNTED-STANDBY ARCH IDLE 0
0
0
 10 VALID     MOUNTED-STANDBY ARCH IDLE                0
0
0
 11 VALID     MOUNTED-STANDBY ARCH IDLE                0
0
628

SQL> select * from
  2 (select max(sequence#) as "Last Archived" from v$log_history),   3 (select max(sequence#) as "Last Applied" from v$archived_log where applied='YES');

  Last Last Applied
Archived

          148 148

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
tb3101 Received on Wed Dec 02 2009 - 14:45:31 CST

Original text of this message