Re: unable to see new/updated records

From: GD <goran99>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 22:25:09 +0100

"Mladen Gogala" <no_at_email.here.invalid> wrote in message

>> Our app holds an OCCI connection, using it to obtain new/updated records
>> from a table using their timestamps.  It runs the select query once
>> every 30 min for unlimited period of time (I do realize this is not the

> Does your app issue something like "BEGIN TRANSACTION"? I've had a Java
> application that was doing that. The application was issuing the same
> query over and over again, WITHIN THE SAME TRANSACTION. Transaction is the
> basic unit of work in a RDBMS and there is something called "ACID rules".
> If your transaction is started at connect time, you're bound to see only
> the data that was committed at the time your transaction has begun.
> That's the law. Try removing that "begin transaction" statement or, if

That's the law only for serializable transactions, not for "normal" transactions.

Default Oracle isolation level is read commited which makes both nonrepeatable reads and phantom reads possible. This means that there is no guarantee that the same SELECT run more than once within the same transaction returns the same set of rows every time.

Regards Received on Tue Dec 01 2009 - 15:25:09 CST

Original text of this message