Re: DASD Disk Layout Advice

From: Matthias Hoys <anti_at_spam.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 00:39:29 +0100

"Pat" <pat.casey_at_service-now.com> wrote in message news:8c721446-137b-48fb-92ab-1afc815678a9_at_p35g2000yqh.googlegroups.com...
> For the last few years, I've largely been laying out Oracle storage on
> SAN's, rather than on DASD, so I'm feeling a bit out of practise with
> today's drives and drive arrays.
>
> To make a long story short, I've got a new Oracle server in a remote
> data center that I didn't order or configure; it comes like it comes.
>
> Its a 32G 8 core intel box with 8 300G 15k SAS drives in it and a
> decent raid controller. Database in question is somewhere between a
> data warehouse and OLTP e.g. its read heavy, but there's still a very
> significant amount of write activity.
>
> I've got a colleague who, wants to build out the box something like:
>
> Disk0 .. RedoA
> Disk1 .. RedoB
> Disks 2..3 RAID 1 OS and Index tablespace
> Disks 4..7 Raid 10 Data tablespace
>
> My instinct is that buildout "wastes" too many spindles and ends up
> starving the index and data volumes.
>
> The counterproposal is to just make one big raid group like:
>
> Disk 0..7 Raid 10
>
> What are folks doing these days with these bold 'old 300G disks? It
> seems supremely wasteful to use an entire 300G drive hold 20G worth of
> red.
>
> Any recommendations, advice, etc would be appreciated.

I would take 2 disks and put them in RAID-1 for the online redo logs (although 300 GB is a lot of space for these alone) and make a RAID-10 array out of the other ones for the rest. I would definitely not use separate disks for indices and data.

Matthias Received on Wed Nov 25 2009 - 17:39:29 CST

Original text of this message