Re: Small TNS packages

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:53:47 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 19, 9:06 am, Troels Arvin <tro..._at_arvin.dk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm transferring a sizeable amount of data from an Oracle 11 DBMS over a
> VPN tunnel; the client software is also Oracle 11. Both client and server
> are running Linux. There row widths in the involved tables vary somewhat,
> but BLOBs aren't involved.
>
> When inspecting the data in Wireshark, I see TNS packages with sizes
> between 350 and 450; the TCP window size is 501.
> I find this to be rather small drops of data.
>
> Are TNS packages this small normal?

Look up SDU and and SEND_BUF_SIZE (and related parameters) in the docs. In 11g, the default is 8K for dedicated and 32K for shared connections. MOS Note: 44694.1 explains it in some detail, it could be up to 1430 bytes of actual data. You may need to adjust the SDU to be a multiple of your window size. Note: 260984.1 explains how to use the send and receive buffer size commands to affect the tcp size, and also disavows any knowledge of your actions.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
"should you decide not to accept this mission, you're fired!" - Get