Re: Storage Claus on Partitioned Global Index

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 22:53:40 +1100

Steve Howard wrote,on my timestamp of 18/11/2009 1:38 PM:

> This would make sense for the original partitions at creation, but I
> don't understand why a split (which effectively adds a new partition
> P4 in my example without a tablespace clause) doesn't go into the
> "default" USERS tablespace (whatever that means).

The split is from an existing partition, which is in a given tablespace. The result should go into same tablespace, in the absence of any instructions saying otherwise. It "inherits" defaults from the original partition. Or at least that's my reading of the doco and what I've seen so far.

>> "Any attributes you do not specify are inherited from the original
>> partition."  Of course, that is talking about tables, so the docs
>> ought to mention the same thing about indices.

Hmmm, I've found that when it comes to partitions, indexes tend to "behave" very much as tables do - as far as syntax goes, of course.

> I'm not sure what "original partition" means in that case? What if I
> created two partitions in two different tablespaces "originally"?

At a guess and without trying:

partition 1, in tablespace one, split, two resulting partitions end up in tablespace one.

partition 2, in tablespace two, split, two resulting partitions end up in tablespace two.

Assuming of course defaults.

Now: if someone can show me how to make sure partitions compress the same as a non-partitioned table...
I've just hit that one a few weeks ago, with 10.2.0.3:

Non-partitioned table, compressed: smaller size than original. Partitioned with compression: same total size as original uncompressed. Meh!... Received on Wed Nov 18 2009 - 05:53:40 CST

Original text of this message