Re: Minimum privileges for users

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:38:52 +0100

Álvaro G. Vicario schreef:
> Álvaro G. Vicario escribió:
>> Shakespeare escribió:

>>> None. You need a license.
>>
>> Gasp.... Is is possible I misread the license terms or confused them
>> with the XE edition :-?

> http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/popup-license/standard-license.html
>

> LICENSE RIGHTS
>
> We grant you a nonexclusive, nontransferable limited license to use the
> programs only for the purpose of developing, testing, prototyping and
> demonstrating your application, and not for any other purpose. If you
> use the application you develop under this license for any internal data
> processing or for any commercial or production purposes, or you want to
> use the programs for any purpose other than as permitted under this
> agreement, you must obtain a production release version of the program
> by contacting us or an Oracle reseller to obtain the appropriate license.
>

> You may not:
>
> - use the programs for your own internal data processing or for any
> commercial or production purposes, or use the programs for any purpose
> except the development of your application;
>

> As I said, I'm not a lawyer, but what I understand from all this is that
> I cannot use an unlicensed copy of Oracle to store data but I can use it
> to write an application for a third-party that will eventually run the
> finished app against their own licensed server. I've read the word
> "Evaluation copy" nowhere in the download section... It looks like a
> sensible way to increase sales through promoting development. Am I wrong?

Here's the tricky part:
"The programs may be installed on one computer only, and used by one person in the operating environment identified by us."

You said 'we'. There you go!

Different rules apply when you are an Oracle Partner, in that case usage like this might be allowed. But partnership terms differ in all countries and change all the time.

Shakespeare Received on Tue Nov 17 2009 - 07:38:52 CST

Original text of this message