Re: Minimum privileges for users

From: Álvaro G. Vicario <>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:52:30 +0100

Álvaro G. Vicario escribió:
> Shakespeare escribió:

>> Álvaro G. Vicario schreef:
>>> We have just installed Oracle Database 11g Release in a
>>> Windows Server 2003 box. We'll be using it to develop PHP
>>> applications with Oracle backend so:
>>> 1. We haven't purchased a license
>>> 2. There is no DBA in the house
>>> With only 10g XE edition background, I'm pretty lost with user
>>> administration. (I'm using the built-in web console.) I just need to
>>> create users that have full access to their own schemas and no access
>>> to system or other user's stuff. I'm currently assigning the
>>> "CONNECT" and "RESOURCE" roles and all the system privileges but I
>>> suppose that's way too much.
>>> What permissions would be appropriate?
>>> I understand it's all explained in the extensive documentation but
>>> it's just a disposable dev box and I am not a DBA :_(
>> None. You need a license.
> Gasp.... Is is possible I misread the license terms or confused them
> with the XE edition :-?

LICENSE RIGHTS We grant you a nonexclusive, nontransferable limited license to use the programs only for the purpose of developing, testing, prototyping and demonstrating your application, and not for any other purpose. If you use the application you develop under this license for any internal data processing or for any commercial or production purposes, or you want to use the programs for any purpose other than as permitted under this agreement, you must obtain a production release version of the program by contacting us or an Oracle reseller to obtain the appropriate license.

You may not:

  • use the programs for your own internal data processing or for any commercial or production purposes, or use the programs for any purpose except the development of your application;

As I said, I'm not a lawyer, but what I understand from all this is that I cannot use an unlicensed copy of Oracle to store data but I can use it to write an application for a third-party that will eventually run the finished app against their own licensed server. I've read the word "Evaluation copy" nowhere in the download section... It looks like a sensible way to increase sales through promoting development. Am I wrong?

-- - Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain
-- Mi sitio sobre programación web:
-- Mi web de humor satinado: