Re: Licencing terms for students?

From: joel garry <>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:48:30 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 13, 9:56 am, Paulie <> wrote:
> > > I would like to know under what conditions that I
> > > (a 4th year undergraduate student at Trinity College
> > > Dublin, Ireland) student may (or may not) use Oracle
> > > database products for a degree project?
> > What you probably want is the Oracle Database Express Edition.
> > Here is a nice article on version 10g (I don't think 11g is
> > available):
> I should have mentioned that I am not interested in XE - I know about
> it and it doesn't meet my requirements.
> Thanks for your input.
> Rgs,
> Paul...
> > Jeroen

What are your requirements? It's sounding like you are deploying it in a way that you need a license. There is a licensing manual, and you have to agree to a license when you download anything. Be sure and ask your college if they already have a license appropriate for what you want to do.

From the standard license: "If you use the application you develop under this license for any internal data processing or for any commercial or production purposes, or you want to use the programs for any purpose other than as permitted under this agreement, you must obtain a production release version of the program by contacting us or an Oracle reseller to obtain the appropriate license." See, commercial _or_ production - your use certainly sounds like production.

Of course, there may be other things I don't know about, if I were Oracle, I'd want to support students.

XE is pretty powerful on modern hardware, what limitation do you expect to run into?

-- is bogus.