Re: I can't get logged into the new improved metalink...

From: Tim X <timx_at_nospam.dev.null>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:08:35 +1100

Palooka <nobody_at_nowhere.invalid> writes:

> On 12/11/09 21:14, Mladen Gogala wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:50:25 -0800, justalowlydba wrote:
>>

>>> Is there a solution for this problem as I would like to get this
>>> resolved?
>>
>> There is no solution which doesn't include the use of firearms.

Personally, I prefer knives - its more personal!

> Like Gerard, I am looking at PostgreSQL. Seems easy as pie so far.

PostgresSQL is pretty good. I've moved a couple of fairly simple apps from Oracle to PostgresSQL and it has been fairly straight forward. However, I've only been using the basic postgresSQL, not the 'special' one that is specifically aimed at being an Oracle replacement (I believe you can get it with support etc). I also know there are some Oracle compatibility 'plugins', but I've not used them either.

On the whole, I've found no really difficult to resolve issues and I find postgresSQL magnitudes better than MySQL, which IMO is only good for web counters and basic bit bucket style database apps, which I tend to avoid where possible.

I have yet to test some of the more 'enterprise' oriented aspects of postgresSQL, but am hoping to get the opportunity soon. At this sage, I'm still trying to convince people that while postgresSQL is not a simple drop in replacement, there are applications which will do fine using it. On the other hand, I'm more skeptical regarding any application that demands really high throughput with large data sets. The real problem is convincing management that maintaining two DB engines and using each when appropriate may actually provide a better and cheaper solution than a 'use Oracle for everything' attidue that currently prevails.

What I'd really like to try is a mid sized app that has quite high inserts/updates along with the need for fast queries. I've found MySQL pretty woeful in this regard. Fro the little experience I've had so far with postgresSQL, you do need to be more across locking issues. I also find the available tools for analysis and identifying possible tuning strategies a little limited, though to be honest, I've not really needed them. Its more the desire to have a good feel for what is going on and that will probably come with time.

I also find the support for using different scripting languages pretty interesting, though I've not yet determined what the trade-offs are with the different optons available. What I really do like is that it is a more complete, in the sense of what I'm use to, RDMS. I was constantly frustrated with MySQL's inability to do things which I've grown accustomed to being what you would find in a RDBMS.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au