Re: metalink still unuseable the 2nd day ...

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 09:57:24 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 12, 1:04 am, Tim X <t..._at_nospam.dev.null> wrote:
> Noons <wizofo..._at_gmail.com> writes:
> > On Nov 12, 1:38 am, MBPP <mpacheco_bra..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> IE also worked fine (version 8). I also noted they call the SWF
> >> directly without a "wrapper" to check Flash version, etc. My Flash
> >> version here is 10.0.32, try to upgrade if you have version 9, maybe
> >> it can help? I read somewhere that they demand 9.0.115 or greater I
> >> think.
>
> > Oh great!  So now, besides having to figure out all the db versions
> > and patches to make things work, we also are supposed to track the
> > "consistency" of browser version and flash version?
>
> > Welcome to the brave new world of dba2.0: spend all your time trying
> > to get the "easy, time-saving UI" to work!
>
> > I'm on 10.0.32 Flash and latest FF and still having minor nagging
> > problems with it.  It'll go away, I'm sure.  But did it really need to
> > be like this?
>
> You think you have problems. I'm a blind developer and have now lost all
> the handy tools I use to have to make metalink accessible. If javascript
> wasn't a bad enough addition, flash makes it pretty much impossible for
> me. Given a few months, I'll find a solution, but in the meantime....

Too bad you have an AU address, which I assume means you are not in the US. Here we have what is called the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The new interface violates it, as far as I can tell, though I'm not really up on software of flash for the blind, if there even is any such thing. I am wondering if that's why they came up with the html version, though. I find it curious I haven't seen anything about this yet, though it could be just lost in the rest of the uproar.

Local to me, there is a wheelchair bound lawyer who is abusing the law, basically just going through every business district and suing every business with the slightest technical violation of the law, of which there are many, especially in touristy places with old buildings. The ADA has no provision for government enforcement, leaving it up to private enterprise. So a few lawyers specialize in it, often leading to cash settlements by businesses, rather than actually fixing the problems. Some people call that extortion. I wonder how Larry would feel about that?

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
Huh, I remember when it seemed like every PC had a 3com card.