Re: metalink still unuseable the 2nd day ...

From: MBPP <mpacheco_brazil_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 04:48:39 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 11, 4:05 pm, Noons <wizofo..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 12, 1:38 am, MBPP <mpacheco_bra..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > IE also worked fine (version 8). I also noted they call the SWF
> > directly without a "wrapper" to check Flash version, etc. My Flash
> > version here is 10.0.32, try to upgrade if you have version 9, maybe
> > it can help? I read somewhere that they demand 9.0.115 or greater I
> > think.
>
> Oh great!  So now, besides having to figure out all the db versions
> and patches to make things work, we also are supposed to track the
> "consistency" of browser version and flash version?
>
> Welcome to the brave new world of dba2.0: spend all your time trying
> to get the "easy, time-saving UI" to work!
>
> I'm on 10.0.32 Flash and latest FF and still having minor nagging
> problems with it.  It'll go away, I'm sure.  But did it really need to
> be like this?

Of course not, I too think the new interface could be simpler and faster. Disclaimer, I don't work for Oracle but I work with Oracle databases as a DBA and developer for +14 years. Note, the idea behind RIA interfaces is to make the applications more interactive and faster to navigate since you don't (re)load pages for every navigation and you don't need to mimic visual effects using tons of CSS/Javascript. The visual "appealing" in my opinion is a secondary consideration that must be touched only after the application meets all its functional requirements. For the past 2 years I am working with Adobe Flex (Flash) creating RIA applications for customers that use Oracle as database. Our architecture on the Oracle side is based on PL/SQL stored procedures that dynamically generate XML via EPG or MOD_PLSQL. This is in fact the same method that the old Metalink was using but generating dynamic HTML. But now it seems they are using a Java middle tier so most likely they recoded big portions of it. In my opinion if they would have continued to use MOD_PLSQL they would just need to adapt the output to XML (via a parameter) and things would be much simpler and faster. They would be able to run both versions in parallel without the need to migrate any data. Once users are happy and it is stable you turn the old off. On the interface side they could just keep more or less the same general interface as the old Metalink in version 1 and enhance it visually in the next versions. Apparently they did too much in one shot and the results are here for everyone to see. This is something I saw many times in the past, the development/management team is induced with "hype" technologies and make things much more complex than they should be. Received on Thu Nov 12 2009 - 06:48:39 CST

Original text of this message