Re: anyone able to access metalink today?

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 11:43:27 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 9, 10:45 am, gs <g..._at_gs.com> wrote:
> I have tried several times, just get a blank page with FF and a
> connection error on IE - latest flash player etc. is installed.
>
> Just curious if others are able to get in..
>
> cheers

It worked OK for me with IE 8 a couple hours before your post. The site had performance problems displaying search results - even clicking a link in the search results sometimes required more than a minute to display the matching result page. This was my first time using the Flash based interface. The new interface did look interesting with a lot of potential, but it was a bit too cluttered, especially with things popping up on the screen as the mouse pointer was moved. It did not help that the message "Unable to communicate with server - Server Timeout" appeared at the top right of the web page, and when I clicked on one of the search results the navigation area of the page (at the left and top) was blurred (disabled) making it impossible to select a different page (search result or other page) to view - even the back button in the browser had no effect (this was noticed at about the time of your post).

One thing that I noticed when accessing the site for the first time (or after a restart of IE), when the flash loading message appeared, my computer showed that it was hitting the upper transfer limit for the T1 Internet connection while the flash loading message was on the screen - the message must have remained on the screen for 10 to 20 seconds. If the same behavior is present for everyone accessing the site, I would imagine that the Internet bandwidth requirements at the Metalink site must be very high and might be contributing to a self inflicted denial of service.

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Mon Nov 09 2009 - 13:43:27 CST

Original text of this message