Re: oracle-l

From: joel garry <>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 09:57:47 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 2, 3:00 am, gazzag <> wrote:
> On 1 Nov, 18:40, hpuxrac <> wrote:
> > For all practical purposes you might as well just say American ...
> The official language in the United States is English:
> There is no "American" language.
> -g

Take another look at the link you posted. English is not the official language in the United States, though it is in some states. This has profound implications where I live, where English _is_ the official language, and 25% of the schoolchildren primarily speak one of about 65 other languages (much higher % in my immediate area). In the Los Angeles metropolitan area, the majority of households are primarily non-English speaking. I think it is pretty stupid to have something against people just because English isn't their first language.

-- is bogus.
"You also have to remember that when we go to China and tell them San
Diego's the seventh-biggest city in the United States, with 1.3
million people, that's peanuts to them. They have more than 150 cities
with more than 1 million people. Even a state like California, which
has about 33 million people, is only the equivalent of the city of
Chongqing and its environs, which we visited on a recent trade
mission. So even if we go over with the governor, in a way that's only
the equivalent of a big-city mayor in China. " - Bella Heule