Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 09:30:00 -0800 (PST)
On Oct 31, 9:02 am, "Jonathan Lewis" <jonat..._at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> "Gerard H. Pille" <g..._at_skynet.be> wrote in messagenews:4aec43e5$0$2864$ba620e4c_at_news.skynet.be...
> > What is "oracle-l" exactly?
> It is a community based on a "list-server" which is a
> mail-handling program that forwards any email you
> send it to anyone who is registered as a recipient.
> If you want to see the archive for this October to gauge
> the level of participation, you can go to the following link:
> You can always simply browse the archive, but if you
> want to join the mailing list, start with this link:
Newbies, please be aware that the emails posted to the list go directly to spam generators. This may not affect people with sufficient anti-spam protection, but I for one wonder about places that claim to have sufficient anti-spam protection. I was able to drop the work email affected (it had not been spammed at all, then got hammered immediately after the first post to Oracle-L), but more recently it's been re-enabled, with notifications of suspicious emails trapped and the option to receive each. It's still getting spammed several years later.
There is a basic problem with that type of moderation, there's no way to know if lurking users are spambots. Read from an address you don't post from, post from an address you don't care about, if you don't already have a spam problem.
-- _at_home.com is bogus. “There's less than 1 percent of the citizens in the United States of America that understand the complexity in how to put these kinds of projects together, so why would we want to ask the other 99 percent?” - Malin Burnham, arguing against a public vote regarding a $432M city hall project.Received on Mon Nov 02 2009 - 11:30:00 CST