Re: oracle-l

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 17:41:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 10:36:03 +0000, Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> "Mladen Gogala" <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> wrote in message

>> On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 11:26:54 +0000, Jonathan Lewis wrote:
>>

>>> The threat of being sued  for a derogatory comment (even a true one)
>>> being made by a list member was something that no-one else wanted to
>>> take on - and you're complaining because you now can't say whatever
>>> you like whenever you like because Steve took on that risk.
>>>

>> My comments could neither be qualified as libel nor slander so they did
>> not pose a danger to anyone. Nobody could have sued either me or the
>> moderator for my comments. I am complaining because I was prevented
>> from telling lazy ignorants off. It is this "enforcing the morality"
>> that I am complaining about and that is what turned the oracle-l into a
>> useless high traffic forum. In addition to that, such danger no longer
>> existed when he banned me for bad behavior.

> Let me repeat this bit - since you seem to have missed the point:
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------- When
> Steve took responsibility for Oracle-L, the previous moderator had
> decided to shut it down because of noises begin made in the US
> courts about moderators being responsible for all comments made on
> such lists.

As far as I am concerned, this makes no difference. Having the list in the state like it is now is as good as if it wasn't there.

> Steve took on the list when no-one else would. Had it not been for him
> the list would have ceased to exist years ago, and there would have been
> no need, or opportunity, for you to tell anyone off.
>
> It's his game, if you don't like the rules no-one is going to force you
> to play.

But I am still allowed to voice my opinion. Things have not changed in this respect. He banned me from the list but I can express my opinion here. Also, it seems that moderating the list is about the only thing he does. I don't know if you noticed, but this forum has much lighter traffic than the list so it's much easier to keep tabs on really interesting topics when they show up. In other words, this forum is becoming much more useful than oracle-l. I wouldn't be surprised to see people return to this forum and abandon the oracle-l altogether. I believe that the list has outlived its usefulness, especially with this leadership. Steve Adams has, after all, stopped doing interesting things a long time ago. He's just hanging in there for the marketing effect.

> I'd be curious to know, though, how long you survived on the
> list after he took over.

I don't know, I didn't do any accounting. I don't see the point of this discussion? Steve took a list when nobody else would and turned it into a useless milquetoast forum. Judging by the overall tone of the list seems to be "enforcing morality" there even now, when nobody is talking about lawsuits. Not much else is done there.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com