Re: Oracle 10g, standby creation

From: Mladen Gogala <>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 18:49:33 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 06:45:52 +0100, Fabrice wrote:

> Hello
> I would like to create a physical standby with Oracle 10g. 2 servers
> with the same the same structure.

What seems to be the problem?

> I have read a lot of documentation but I'm always confused about some
> points.
> I would like to recplicate files from my production server to my standby
> server. So, U have created the same directory for :
> 1. pdump, adump..
> 2. and all the files : control files, datafile and online redologs.
> After cold backup :
> - Do I need to copy the backup of the production online redologs to my
> standby server. Do the standby could use it ? Or will they be create
> automatically by Oracle if one day the standby is activated ?
> - standby redo logs :
> It's very hard for me to know what to do with it. I have understand (i
> hope) that you need them if we use LGWR instead of ARC. But my confusion
> is where to create them : Some articles create standby redo logs only on
> the primary .. others on the standby. None on the both. And sorry I
> don't undertstand why.
> For me, SRL are used by oracle (lgwr/rfs) to write enties directly in it
> from primary to standby if we use LGWR mode. So You should create the
> SRL on the standby. But I'm not sure. Why some people do the creation
> on the primary and not on the standby ?
> If we create SRL on the standby, this one should have : - copy of the
> cold backup of the online redologs (from primary) - and n + 1 SRL.
> Willo the standby use the copy of the online redo ?
> thanks for your help.
> fabrice

Everything is described here:

The book is actually a step by step recipe how to create a standby db.

There also other helpful sources, like this: MAA_WP_10g_RACPrimarySingleInstancePhysicalStandby.pdf

If you are unwilling to read the literature, please subscribe to, they will gladly answer all of your questions, this is not the right forum.