Re: Problem with with exp

From: Ruud de Koter <>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:34:56 +0100

Hi Georg,

> Dear all,
> I installed the Oracle Client on a new machine with Windows
> XP.
> SQLPLUS and TNSPING are working fine; however, there there is a
> problem with EXP:
> I'm getting the error ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect
> identifier specified
> It use it like this:
> exp user/pw_at_db full=Y direct=y file=c:\db.dmp
> The tnsnames.ora is okay (otherwise, sqlplus and tnsping would fail)
> The help doesn't really help me.
> Anyone has an idea about what could be the problem?
> Thank you in advance!
> Georg

First points on my checklist:

  • check the Windows path for the execution environment,
  • check how many tnsnames.ora files there actually are on the machine; make sure exp uses the right one.

I can probably sum this up as: might there be (or have been) another Oracle installation on the machine?

Ruud de Koter. Received on Sun Oct 25 2009 - 12:34:56 CDT

Original text of this message