Re: Suitability of Oracle for storing/maintaining medical records?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 07:05:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 13, 5:05 am, "qazmlp1..._at_rediffmail.com" <qazmlp1..._at_rediffmail.com> wrote:
> I have a case where it is required to store and maintain medical
> images/records/reports in the database.
> What kind of Database storage model used for such cases? Is Oracle
> flexible enough to support this?
> Please share your opinions.

Any and all of the newest releases of the three major rdbms products: Oracle 11g, DB2 9.7, and SQL Server 2008 are capable of handling medical records.

With 11g you can potentially use tablespace level encryption to encrypt the files meaning the backups would also be encrypted. Oracle also provides column level encryption features as well as encryption packages that can be used via the application.

Images, audio, and video can be stored in the new Secure File data type (improved LOB format).

If you want to know what you can do with Oracle a good place to look is the Concepts manual for the version you would most likely use. It is available online at a couple of different sites: http://tahiti.oracle.com

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Oct 13 2009 - 09:05:55 CDT

Original text of this message