Re: Teaching class with book: Oracle PL/SQL by Example

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 05:05:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 11, 11:20 pm, doug <douglass_da..._at_earthlink.net> wrote:

snip

> For my night job, I'm once again teaching a PL/SQL class using the
> book Oracle PL/SQL by Example 4th Ed at a local technical college.
>
> I like the fact that this book has a lot of examples and exercises,
> but dislike the fact that it teaches a lot of syntax without a real
> world/best practices emphasis. So, that is the piece I am making sure
> to add.
>
> Here is an outline:
>
> http://plsqltopics.wikispaces.com/
>
> I am looking for comments, additions, suggestions, or criticisms.  If
> you see something that compels you to make a change, feel free to. If
> you want to post an idea here, that's fine too.

What do you do in your day job Doug? I don't recall your posting here recently.

For most of us in the oracle field it is going to take 2 or 3 years (or more) of experience doing a lot of PLSQL before having enough perspective on PLSQL to teach it well.

The ideal of bringing much more than some syntax awareness in a short class on PLSQL in a technical college is a nice ideal ... but geez ... it could be real far from doable.

Good luck in your class and let us know eventually how it went! Received on Mon Oct 12 2009 - 07:05:54 CDT

Original text of this message