Re: The end is near: Coca Cola switches to UDB

From: Noons <>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 11:48:59 +1000

joel garry wrote,on my timestamp of 11/10/2009 10:12 AM:

> only reason it survived at all. Of course, anyone who bought (or was
> granted options on) Oracle or MS stock at that time and then held onto
> it is now thought to be genius.

(and I should have done a LOT more!)

> they fall." Also, a big part of both Oracle and DEC's success was
> military/gov contracts, so when the big lump of VAXen had gone through
> the snake, it hit DEC hard, but Oracle not so much, since Oracle ran
> on the hp/sun replacements, and there were still requirements for
> things to run on Oracle. See

This is IMHO the problem with Oracle now. Extreme portability was always its saving grace when all else was buggy.
Portability is certainly not as important these days of one size fits all. And when was the last time we saw Oracle push anything other than Linux?

> Nowadays I look at the stuff that is
> supposed to replace Oracle and just kinda feel like staying a dinosaur
> until the asteroid comes.

> Oracle won't fall like DEC because it explicitly recognizes greater
> future value in apps than databases. Some publications seem to think
> it might fall due to over-reliance on Larry, but such a statement is
> certainly undervaluing Henley, Phillips and Catz. I mean, they can't
> be too wimpy if they are keeping Larry happy, eh?

Good point. M$ certainly hasn't fared better by replacing Gates with the drug-addict.
But the question remains: who is going to replace Larry's ferocity? Because that will still be needed with their business model and he is certainly not eternal... Received on Sat Oct 10 2009 - 20:48:59 CDT

Original text of this message