Re: The end is near: Coca Cola switches to UDB

From: John Hurley <>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 14:56:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 9, 4:47 pm, joel garry <> wrote:

> > I don't think DEC was ever a major player in the computer field the
> > way that you appear to think they were.
> Whaaaaaa?  "At its peak in the late 1980s, Digital was the second-
> largest computer company in the world, with over 100,000 employees." -

Then what happened to them? At all of the shops I was at thru mid 90's there was little if any DEC equipment and a whole bunch of IBM.

By the late 90's oracle workloads seemed to be running mostly on sun and hp systems. If they were that big then they must have imploded pretty quickly. Received on Sat Oct 10 2009 - 16:56:57 CDT

Original text of this message