Re: The end is near: Coca Cola switches to UDB

From: Mladen Gogala <>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 15:24:16 +0000 (UTC)

From: Mladen Gogala <> Newsgroups: Subject: Re: The end is near: Coca Cola switches to UDB Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 15:24:16 +0000 (UTC) Organization:

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 10:44:11 +0200, Serge Rielau wrote:

> Easy != Transparent.

Actually, in its original meaning, the word "transparent" denotes a property of a material to allow light to pass trough it. Here is what the dictionary has to say about it:

trans·par·ent (trans per′ənt, -par′-)

  1. transmitting light rays so that objects on the other side may be distinctly seen; capable of being seen through; neither opaque nor translucent
  2. so fine in texture or open in mesh that objects on the other side may be seen relatively clearly; sheer; gauzy; diaphanous
  3. easily understood; very clear
  4. easily recognized or detected; obvious
  5. without guile or concealment; open; frank; candid

So what is a "transparent migration"? A candid migration? I hate being lied to by databases, during migrations. Easily understood migration? What does it mean for a migration to be easily understood? Marketing terminology has deformed English language beyond repair. Marketing types are using completely unrelated words just because those words sound good. Do you have a definition of a transparent migration? All I need from my migration is to be cheap and easy, even if the phrase "cheap and easy" can be interpreted in a different way.