Re: The end is near: Coca Cola switches to UDB

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 19:47:03 -0500

"Serge Rielau" <> wrote in message
>> Unlike 9i, UDB was part of the product name not a version number. Are you
>> sure you work for Big Blue?
> i stands for internet, last I checked i is not a number.
> g stands for grid

9i is 9.x. It represents a range of verion numbers. "i" stands for internet but no one thinks it is part of the product name. It's main purpose is version distinction.

> \UDB stands for Universal Database which in IBM lingo denotes a DB2 family
> member that has: user defined distinct types, user defined functions and
> LOBs. Since all DB2 family members have those it became pretty meaning
> less.
> The "UDB" acronym to denote DB2 for LUW is as false as implying Microsoft
> SQL Server when saying "I'm using SQL"

Who said anything about that? I was just saying UDB was at one point part of the product name.

> And yes, I'm sure I work to IBM and yes I am aware that IBMers are the
> misconception as much if not more so than anyone else.
> Call it a pet-peeve of mine....

Indeed, IBMer are confusing even themselves. Received on Thu Oct 08 2009 - 19:47:03 CDT

Original text of this message