Re: The end is near: Coca Cola switches to UDB

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 09:07:40 +0200

> Unlike 9i, UDB was part of the product name not a version number. Are you
> sure you work for Big Blue?

i stands for internet, last I checked i is not a number. g stands for grid

\UDB stands for Universal Database which in IBM lingo denotes a DB2 family member that has: user defined distinct types, user defined functions and LOBs. Since all DB2 family members have those it became pretty meaning less.
The "UDB" acronym to denote DB2 for LUW is as false as implying Microsoft SQL Server when saying "I'm using SQL"

And yes, I'm sure I work to IBM and yes I am aware that IBMers are the misconception as much if not more so than anyone else. Call it a pet-peeve of mine....

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau