Re: Index creation monitoring + select/inserts

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 14:21:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 6, 5:02 pm, briandba <briandba..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> Hi,
> i'm new to oracle (i'm from db2) eand i have basics questions on
> oracle 9i and 10g:
> how can i view the progression of a create index or alter index
> rebuild ?
> there is no entry in v$session_longops for these orders
>
> and another question, how can i determine the number of users select,
> insert, update ,delete on the database since the startup ?
>
> thanks
> brian

If I were you I would stop and not pass go until you have purchased and read cover to cover a couple of times Tom Kyte's book "Expert Oracle Database Architecture".

Follow that up with reading a couple of times Cary Millsap's book "Optimizing Oracle Performance".

Taking that kind of path will stop you from barking up the wrong trees.

You want to understand from the get go how oracle does things. It does not matter how you would do things in DB2 ... just let it go! ( From an old IMS and DB2 DBA ... now an old Oracle DBA ).

Good luck and have fun and read read read! Received on Wed Oct 07 2009 - 16:21:10 CDT

Original text of this message