Re: The end is near: Coca Cola switches to UDB

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 11:16:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 7, 7:26 am, Mladen Gogala <n..._at_email.here.invalid> wrote:
> Coca Cola Bottling Company threw out Oracle and transitioned to UDB, the
> artist formerly known as DB2. I've been an outspoken critic of Oracle's
> way of doing business for a while now. I am also engaged on a project to
> transition several databases from Oracle to PostgreSQL. Maybe that will
> force their marketing to change tactics? At the very minimum, they should
> give AWR report for free and make their databases cheaper. I'd hate to see
> Oracle following in the footsteps of DEC. They were high and mighty, too.
>
> --http://mgogala.freehos.com

If Oracle follows in the footsteps of DEC, Larry Ellison would buy up the remaining customers and all the intellectual property of the flagship database product for pennies on the dollar. His net worth would putatively drop from $25B to $2B, creating huge paper losses and carryforward tax losses, so he could get back up to a substantial percentage of $23B tax free. Numbers extracted from my butt, but hopefully the concept is clear. It only wouldn't work if he did it on purpose.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/07/flo-tv-will-soon-have-little-helper/?uniontrib