Re: Issue with Oracle 8i recovery

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 23:56:10 +0200

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 06:03:37 -0700 (PDT), Ganesh <ganesh.tambat_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Now the problem is if I restore control files from the second or third
>backup then for the above mentioned RMAN script I get following error:
>****
>RMAN-06003: ORACLE error from target database: RMAN-20208: UNTIL
>CHANGE is before RESETLOGS change
>****

As was to be expected. You opened the database with resetlogs, so you crossed the Rubicon, and pulled the bridge. You need to reset the database to a previous incarnation. As you are running without catalog that is not readily possible. You might want to check whether the documentation has a section called 'Recovering through resetlogs'.
Please disregard the comments of Mr. Hurley. As usual he only thinks he knows what he is talking about. As he doesn't know what he is talking about he starts to blame the software.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA