Re: varchar2(size)

From: indytoatl <indytoatl_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 16:35:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 30, 3:48 pm, John Hurley <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Sep 30, 3:19 pm, yf..._at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca (Malcolm Dew-Jones)
> wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > What if you need to save Mr. Seamus Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff's name in
> > your database?  What if his daughter then gets married and hyphenates her name with
> > her husband's?
>
> > Many "maximum" sizes are really just arbitrary guesses.
>
> Ahh then simply make everything varchar2(2000) that should fix it all
> rightey eh?  No worries then make all your varchar2 fields like this
> then ...
>
> If you are just guessing then please stay away from my databases.
> Rules can change over time and database systems can handle some
> reasonable number of implementation changes when required.

Thanks for the responses. I just wanted to be sure that the varchar size didn't have
anything to do with SGA or buffer memory. So, you have comfirmed that there is no
performance issues with different settings. with memory allocation within the SGA. Received on Wed Sep 30 2009 - 18:35:32 CDT

Original text of this message