From: John Hurley <>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 15:15:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 28, 11:42 am, The Magnet <> wrote:
> Probably a dumb question here, but we're trying to understand
> DBMS_STATS and all the parameters and such.  What a complicated
> thing.  Too many parameters to understand the effects.
> Anyhow, I read that Oracle 10g generates database stats each night.
> What kind of stats?  Does this mean I do not have to compute schema
> stats?

Here is a guy from the optimizer internals group ... giving the "currently recommended way"

Think about using dbms_stats.set_param('AUTOSTATS_TARGET','ORACLE') if you want to manage your own schema based stats but let oracle gather system related ones. Received on Mon Sep 28 2009 - 17:15:24 CDT

Original text of this message