From: Mark D Powell <>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 10:31:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 28, 11:42 am, The Magnet <> wrote:
> Probably a dumb question here, but we're trying to understand
> DBMS_STATS and all the parameters and such.  What a complicated
> thing.  Too many parameters to understand the effects.
> Anyhow, I read that Oracle 10g generates database stats each night.
> What kind of stats?  Does this mean I do not have to compute schema
> stats?

With Oracle database 10g Oracle will automatically generate object (table/index) statistics via an overnight scheduler job task. However, the statistics generated may not be appropriate for all objects an you may need to manually create the optimizer statistics for a few tables using other than the default parameters. Also if you add a new table and populate it you may not want to wait for the normally scheduled task to run before generating statistics for the table and its indexes.

The dbms_stats package is fairly simple to use. Most of the parameters are pretty straingt-forward and are explained well enough in the official documentation.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Sep 28 2009 - 12:31:22 CDT

Original text of this message