Re: Checkpoints

From: The Magnet <art_at_unsu.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:38:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 21, 2:49 pm, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
> On Sep 21, 2:40 pm, The Magnet <a..._at_unsu.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > We are on 10gr2.  We have 10 redo logs, each 150 megs.  We are getting
> > a lot of checkpoint not complete errors.  After doing some reading I
> > see that it says not to mix FAST_START_MTTR_TARGET with
> > LOG_CHECKPOINT_INTERVAL.
>
> > I could keep adding more and more and larger and larger redo logs, but
> > is that really the right answer?  I've looked and all apps have decent
> > commits in them......
>
> Is log_checkpoint_interval set to a non-zero value?  You don't say if
> it is or if it isn't.  And the problem may not be with that parameter
> but with the size of the redo log groups (they are likely too small
> and, because of that, you're cycling through the groups at a
> relatively 'blazing' rate).  I would seriously look into increasing
> the size of those redo logs and aim for two to three log switches per
> hour.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

Yeah, I forgot to mentions that. The parameter is set to 0. And I should probably find out the frequency of the log switches. I found a query which will do that here:

http://www.oraclelog.com/2007/07/17/oracle/determining-log-switch-frequency/

So, let's see if that works. Received on Mon Sep 21 2009 - 16:38:54 CDT

Original text of this message