Re: What character are valid in the name of a table?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 07:30:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 20, 6:25 pm, Phil Herring <phil_herr..._at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Sep 21, 6:42 am, Ramon F Herrera <ra..._at_conexus.net> wrote:
>
> > What characters are valid?
>
> Almost anything, if you use double quotes around the table name. You
> can even amaze your friends by creating tables with names that contain
> newlines and/or back spaces.
>
> -- Phil

You will also create a nightmare for maintenance. I strongly suggest sticking to the use of A - Z, 0 - 9, and underscore to all database object names. Avoid using the dollar sign and pound characters that Oracle sometimes uses in its names. By default if double quotes are not used around the name Oracle will store it in uppercase. This works best since then all table_name = and column_name = queries will always be on upper('&name'), that is, table_name = 'UPPER'.

It will make writing the SQL to access the objects case insensative since Oracle will tread TABLE_NAME, Table_Name, and table_name in SQL exactly the same: TABLE_NAME.

select * from any_of_the_above_choices

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Sep 21 2009 - 09:30:34 CDT

Original text of this message