Re: Using dbms_redefinition

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 06:18:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 15, 3:26 am, skyste- <s..._at_nospam.ste.it> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> It's possible instead run
>
> alter table OWNER.TABLE nologging
> alter table OWNER.TABLE move storage (initial 65536) pctfree 10 initrans
> 1 tablespace TBS nologging parallel 4;
> alter table OWNER.TABLE logging
>
> use dbms_redefinition.something? I'm looking on manual but I do not see
> a solution.
>
> Thanks
> Ste

Ste, was there a prior thread? You can find information on using dbms_redefinition in the DBA Administrators manual (10g version)

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/tables.htm#ADMIN01514

The atler table move and alter index rebuild commands can probably be used instead. The choice may depend on if you want to perform the task online and on if you need to make any object structure changes at the same time.

If you MOVE a table you must also REBUILD the indexes on the table.

Additional information on dbms_redefinition can be found in the PL/SQL Packages and Types manual:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14258/d_redefi.htm#ARPLS042

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Sep 15 2009 - 08:18:26 CDT

Original text of this message