Re: oracle has customers over a barrel

From: grendal <im_gumby_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 07:11:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 12, 9:01 am, Mark D Powell <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com> wrote:

> From IBM.  I installed DB2 on a Linux partition on a mainframe and I
> am sure as Serge has confirmed that it was available on AIX and Sun
> Solaris at the time (version 8 and/or 8.1).  IBM had/has ported the
> product to non-IBM platforms.  They were in the process of making the
> UDB versions and the traditional version more alike at the time.  That
> is the first ports to other platforms and the mainframe version were
> not based on the exact same code base but I do believe that version 8
> had greatly reduced the differences.  By now there should be few code
> base differences except at the very lowest OS interface level.
>
> See Serge's reply.
> -- Mark D Powell --

Admitting that you've installed DB2 is bad enough. Admitting to Linux on Z, well ...

Since you're talking about DB2 v8, we can all look back at that fiasco of a launch. And if you talk to a couple of people in the field, they can tell you the customer horror stories. (Hmmm. I remember one where Janet convinced a customer to move off of XPS on to DB2 V8. ;-)

But that was several years ago.
IBM cut the Sun Ranger team.

So what platforms does IBM really sell their DB2 on? We'll never know because IBM doesn't release the numbers. ;-)

-G Received on Sat Sep 12 2009 - 09:11:38 CDT

Original text of this message