Re: Temporary table use and the redo log

From: <>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 14:01:55 -0700 (PDT)

> By the way, who tells you that the inserts are causing the redo
> generation? There might other DML/DDL going on that generates redo.

we insert into temporary tables. Other than that it's just selects so it
must be that?

> - start a (autonomous) transaction,
> - load the temporary table up,
> - do my selects

(error here)
> - commit the transaction

sorry, your right, the select will occur after the commit in a different procedure

> I second the point that it seems to be odd that you're so keen on
> avoiding redo generation. What is exactly your objective, what are you
> trying to achieve? Is this a performance issue, a space constraint
> with archive logs etc. etc.?

yes, a space constraint with archive logs. Because of our extensive use of temporary
tables we're generating about 20gig a day in logs on a test install for what seems no reason,
once all the customers start using it surely thats just going to multiply.

I'm not sure how long these logs should persist for either, to the nearest backup but thats up to the
customer what their policy is. Received on Wed Sep 09 2009 - 16:01:55 CDT

Original text of this message