Re: So is 11.2.0.2 going to be out anytime soon?

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 05:06:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 8, 9:57 pm, Noons <wizofo..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> > It kinda/sorta sounds like some additional maintenance ( maybe on an
> > 11.2 beta ? ... plus other stuff maybe ? ) beyond 11.2.0.1 is known at
> > oracle but not yet available to paying customers.
>
> > Perhaps an 11.2.0.2 or an 11.2.0.3 patchset will be needed to get a
> > stable 11.2 base system?
>
> > Jump in please anyone that has any relevant ( or irrelevant ) thoughts
> > to throw in here!

> It may well be we'll need a patch set just to get te base features to
> work.
> Go tohttp://gasparotto.blogspot.com/- who has been kind enough to
> do some testing on a common interest - and watch how much pain
> Nicolas is going through to get what should be a no-brainer working.
>
> The manual specifically mentions that the segment deferred option
> can be used in an ALTER TABLE MOVE.  Yet as Nicolas has found
> out, that's far from reality.
>
> Ah well: and here I was convinced that for once Oracle would have
> something working straight off the mark...

Not that it is a good thing but one can "sort of" expect some bugs in the area of 11.2 where the new features are being introduced.

My own personal bias is centered around the idea that "staying away from new stuff in 11.2" how stable is the base release.

You kinda/sorta get the feeling that since linux is the only 11.2 thing out at the moment ( no solaris and no hpux ) that it may have been pushed out the door to be available before open world.

Someone else noted that the last 11.2 beta was rolled out just 2 weeks before this became publicly available ... if that is the case ... it sounds pretty shaky. Received on Wed Sep 09 2009 - 07:06:42 CDT

Original text of this message