Ora-19906 when restoring user managed backup - stumped!

From: gs <gs_at_gs.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 22:05:53 GMT

I have a test database I often restore from an online user managed backup (not rman), the procedure is simple:

shut test database down

copy files from last online backup on prod to test db locations, along with any archived logs since backup

startup mount the test db, rebuild the controlfile renaming database and new file locations etc.

recover database until cancel using backup controlfile, then apply redo etc. cancel and open database with resetlogs, create a tempfile and I'm good to go

Usually goes without a hitch, but for some reason after I hit enter to have it apply the archived log it is looking for, I am getting:

ORA-00283: recovery session canceled due to errors ORA-19906: recovery target incarnation changed during recovery

ORA-01112: media recovery not started

Looking up the 19906 error says its an rman incantation setting, but I am not using rman at all for this, and I'm stumped why this is happening now.

I even re-ran the online backup and recopied the files over, with no success.

Any ideas what I'm missing here?

thanks Received on Tue Sep 08 2009 - 17:05:53 CDT

Original text of this message