Re: Temporary table use and the redo log

From: John Hurley <>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 15:09:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 7, 3:57 pm, "" <> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. I'm probably missing something based on limited
> understanding.
> I can see on my Oracle database there are 3 redo log files, from some
> reading it seems these are populated in turn
> and these later populate archive files. Its those archive files I'm
> looking at.

If you are running in archivelog mode you probably want more than 3 online log files. Perhaps something like 10 ( your mileage may vary ).

If you have 3 online logs and you are running something generating a lot of log activity ... online 1 can fill up ... switching to online 2 ... it fills up ... switch to online 3 ... it fills up ... switch to log 1 ... except it is still being archived ... oops ... everyone waits.

Sizing of online logs and the number of them needs to be looked at in a system running in archivelog mode. Received on Mon Sep 07 2009 - 17:09:38 CDT

Original text of this message