Re: Counterpart to MS Enterprise Manager?

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 16:44:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 6, 7:13 pm, "Siegfried Heintze" <siegfr..._at_heintze.com> wrote:

snip

> >One option is to get an OTN login and download the real Enterprise
> >Edition database.  It is not crippled in any way nor does it stop
> >working after a certain time.
>
> John: do you have a URL for that? I did a google search and foundhttp://www.oracle.com/technology/index.html. Is this the page I want?

Yup ... you will need a login etc to download stuff ... pretty straightorward registration process.

> >That version has a fully fledged GUI based console.
>
> That sounds good to me! What words am I looking for so I don't download the
> brain damaged freebie again?

Well Enterprise Edition ( which costs the most if you license it eventually ) has the most but Standard Edition also has a GUI that has "most of" the features of Enterprise Edition.

After you register you should be able to get to a download page ( use download tab then the database option ) that has this stuff ...( below in a copy and paste ).

If you are just experimenting right now 11.1 release is out for all platforms ( well most platforms anyway ) and 11.2 is out for linux only at this point.

Oracle Database Software Downloads

You must accept the OTN License Agreement to download this software. Accept License Agreement | Decline License Agreement Thank you for accepting the OTN License Agreement; you may now download this software.
Oracle Database 11g Release 2
Standard Edition, Standard Edition One, and Enterprise Edition

(11.2.0.1.0)
Download Linux x86 | Disk 1, Disk 2 (2.1 GB) | See All (Including Client, Gateways, Grid Infrastructure, more) Download Linux x86-64 | Disk 1, Disk 2 (2.2 GB) | See All (Including Client, Gateways, Grid Infrastructure, more)

Oracle Database 11g Release 1
Standard Edition, Standard Edition One, and Enterprise Edition

(11.1.0.7.0)
Download Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (32-bit) (1.9 GB) | See All (Including Client, Clusterware)
Download Microsoft Windows Server 2008 x64 (1.9 GB) | See All (Including Client, Clusterware)

(11.1.0.6.0)
Download Microsoft Windows (32-bit) (1.7 GB) | See All (Including Client, Examples, Gateways, Clusterware) Download Microsoft Windows (x64) (1.7 GB) | See All (Including Client, Examples, Clusterware)
Download Linux x86 (1.7 GB) | See All (Including Client, Examples, Gateways, Clusterware)
Download Linux x86-64 (1.8 GB) | See All (Including Client, Examples, Gateways, Clusterware)
Download Solaris (SPARC) (64-bit) (1.9 GB) | See All (Including Client, Examples, Gateways, Clusterware) Download AIX (PPC64) Disk 1, Disk 2 (2.3 GB) | See All (Including Client, Examples, Gateways, Clusterware) Download HP-UX Itanium Disk 1, Disk 2 (2.3 GB) | See All (Including Client, Examples, Gateways, Clusterware) Download HP-UX PA-RISC (64-bit) Disk 1, Disk 2 (2.3 GB) | See All (Including Client, Examples, Gateways, Clusterware) Received on Sun Sep 06 2009 - 18:44:54 CDT

Original text of this message