Re: Counterpart to MS Enterprise Manager?

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 07:56:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 6, 1:44 am, "Siegfried Heintze" <siegfr..._at_heintze.com> wrote:

snip

> Microsoft supplies a general purpose client with their SQL Server product
> called Enterprise Manager.
>
> Does Oracle supply a similar program with their freebie version of the
> database that will allow me enuermate the databases and their logins, views,
> stored procedures and tables?
>
> I see they supply a java program call Oracle SQL Developer but that requires
> a connection string that I don't know.
>
> I believe I used the database configuration assistant to create a new
> database with 4 usersnames (that I don't remember). I think I remember the
> password.
>
> I can use the Oracle Administration assistant for windows and I see my new
> database in there. I was hoping to use this tool to create a simple table
> and populate it with some sample data. I cannot see where in the GUI I
> create a table, however. Can this program create tables or do I need a
> different program?
>
> Thanks,
> Siegfried

One option is to get an OTN login and download the real Enterprise Edition database. It is not crippled in any way nor does it stop working after a certain time.

It is just subject to a licensing agreement that basically says "I am not developing a commercial product with this download" ... just experimenting.

That version has a fully fledged GUI based console.

You could then get familiar with that version and then eventually see if you like that better than the totally free version. Received on Sun Sep 06 2009 - 09:56:49 CDT

Original text of this message