From: Sue <>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 12:04:51 -0700 (PDT)

We're trying to determine how many CPUs we need to license. We have way more machine than we can afford to license so we plan on using Solaris containers to partition it. I realize that generally you don't set this and we won't either once we figure out what we need. I set CPU_COUNT to 1 thinking it would use 1 cpu/4cores but I can't tell what it's doing. It appears to be using less than 4 cores. We initially brought the machine up with no CPU restrictions, then set to 1 and are really feeling the change.

SQL> select * from dba_cpu_usage_statistics;

1055427977        08/22/2009 22:09:14
32             16                4
1055427977        08/31/2009 22:41:41
1             16                4

This is actually a 4 CPU machine with 4 cores per CPU. Thanks for any help. I've been searching metalink but not finding what I'm looking for.

Sue Received on Fri Sep 04 2009 - 14:04:51 CDT

Original text of this message