Re: PGA not getting released even when nothing is running

From: Ind-dba <oraclearora_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 11:39:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 4, 11:30 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 11:12:53 -0700 (PDT), Ind-dba
>
> <oraclear..._at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> >Any idea when Oracle shifts used space to freeable space? or when it
> >actually releases.
>
> Why should it release? To acquire the memory again after release? That
> doesn't look very sensible to me.
> Look: overallocating the server RAM and making sure it pages
> constantly is your choice, not Oracle's!
>
> --
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

I understand your point. Let me ask the same question in a different way.
Why the memory is not marked "freeable" when the session is sitting idle? In such case there is no real "release" and "acquire" happening.

To your point "Look: overallocating the server RAM and making sure it pages constantly is your choice, not Oracle's!" 1. How do you know we have overallocated. Does any datapoint suggests that ?
2. How do you know that we are paging constantly? Any data points? Received on Fri Sep 04 2009 - 13:39:28 CDT

Original text of this message