ACFS: Another perk in 11.2.0

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_bogus.email.invalid>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 18:32:37 +0000 (UTC)

As I was browsing through the manuals for the new version, I found the following in the Storage Administrators Guide: Overview of Oracle ACFS

"Oracle Automatic Storage Management Cluster File System (Oracle ACFS) is a multi-platform, scalable file system, and storage management technology that extends Oracle Automatic Storage Management (Oracle ASM) functionality to support customer files maintained outside of the Oracle Database. Oracle ACFS supports many database and application files, including executables, database trace files, database alert logs, application reports, BFILEs, and configuration files. Other supported files are video, audio, text, images, engineering drawings, and other general-purpose application file data.

Notes:

*

      Oracle ASM is the preferred storage manager for all database files. It has been specifically designed and optimized to provide the best performance for database file types.

*

      Oracle ACFS is the preferred file manager for non-database files. It is optimized for general purpose files.

*

      Oracle ACFS does not support any file that can be directly stored in Oracle ASM."

So, Oracle introduced a general purpose cluster file system on top of ASM? Nice! I was wondering where to put BFILEs on a RAC system. Now I know. The URL is here: http://tinyurl.com/nk46qc

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com