Re: Date Modified on logfiles not changing

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 18:33:17 +0200

Terry Dykstra schreef:
> "joel garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message
> On Sep 2, 3:28 pm, "Terry Dykstra" <tddyks..._at_forestoil.ca> wrote:
>> I have a 10.2.0.4 database on W3K where the Date Modified (as shown in
>> windows explorer) is stuck on 07/07/2009 6:42PM. That's the time that the
>> instance was last started.
>> But looking in v$log and v$logfile I can see that the filenames and
>> timestamps are all correct. So this is a mystery to me. Anyone ever seen
>> this behavior?
>>
>> --
>> Terry Dykstra

> (Sorry for previous brain-damaged reply, for those who see it even
> though it is now deleted. Been a crazy day.)
>
> I believe this is because Oracle reuses the log files, so it just
> keeps them open from when the instance is started. I bet if you
> create a new one, or offline/online one, you'll see the newer date.
> Don't see this on other platforms.
>
> jg
> --
> _at_home.com is bogus.
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/19/att_dumps_kevin_mitnick/
>
> With 9i I don't see this behavior either.

I see this with some access logs (the fragment logs) of Oracle Application Server on Windows too. Looks like they don't change, but they do grow without changing dates in Explorer. Maybe because the files are kept open (can't open them with Wordpad, Notepad only). When I issue a 'tail' command I see lines added to the log....

Shakespeare Received on Fri Sep 04 2009 - 11:33:17 CDT

Original text of this message