Re: Oracle RAC

From: Jim Watts <watts_at_kutztown.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 12:43:47 GMT

In article <h7o82o$3sa$1_at_news.eternal-september.org>, wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au wrote:
>Jim Watts wrote,on my timestamp of 2/09/2009 11:24 PM:
>> We are going to be implementing a new Student Information System which will
> be
>> using Oracle 11G for the database. We are looking at RAC and are
>> interested what some of the gotachs. What are some of the things that can
> not
>> be done if using RAC versus not RAC (as in software updates and such). I
> have
>> read through some of the documentation but over the years have learned to it
>> does not always tell you everything. I have gone through a few forums and
>> news groups but it is all running together at this point.
>>
>> Any information and insight is greatly appreciated.
>>

>In another post you mention you'll be using Windows servers.
>If so, I'd strongly discourage you from using RAC.
>RAC works well in Unix environments, with particular relevance
>to Linux. In Windows? I wouldn't be game to even try!
>
>Besides: if this is your first Oracle implementation and it is
>just a student tracking system, why do you think you need it?
>RAC is designed for high availability in high volume systems.
>A student information system hardly qualifies as such and
>there are much cheaper options. Dataguard or any of a myriad
>other approaches would be a lot simpler and cheaper to
>implement.
>
>But if you like living on the bleeding edge, be my gueast:
>go ahead and implement RAC on Windows for your first Oracle
>database. I'd also update your resume if I were you...

Everyone thank you for the information.

The choice of Oracle on Windows was not mine.

The reason that RAC is being looked into is to allow for high availability during registration and to prevent people from having to come in after hours to flip hardware around for a failure.

I understand that there are other possible options. But I have to cover all my bases.

Thanks Received on Thu Sep 03 2009 - 07:43:47 CDT

Original text of this message