The first oracle 11.2.0 problem:

From: Mladen Gogala <>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 08:59:09 +0000 (UTC)

SQL> select distinct adr_home from v$diag_alert_ext   2 /
select distinct adr_home from v$diag_alert_ext

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-48216: Field Len Exceeds Max Field Length [5] [0] [20] [20]

That means that the definition of adr_home is shorter than the actual data. Bummer. The table is practically useless because of that. Shame, I was sort of hoping that I will be able to browse through alert log messages by date and code. Oracle 11gR1 had a X$ table, inaccessible to the outside world and this was a nice perk. Unfortunately, it doesn't work.