Re: Death of the DBA

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 00:16:51 +0200

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 13:39:31 -0400, "geoff" <nospam_at_nospam.com> wrote:

> That is not slowing down and there is no
>backlash that makes management say, 'whoops, we blew it, lets bring
>everything back to the US'.

I know of one such case where operations have been outsourced to IBM. As only operations were outsourced, and development wasn't, the informal network broke, especially as the IBM helpdesk was located in South-Africa and the end-users in the Netherlands. Long story short: Customer has ended the contract, and the employees they outsourced to IBM are now being insourced by Customer. This was a few years after customer became a 'troubled account' to IBM: ie there have been severe problems between customer and IBM for years.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA