Re: Migrating from 8i

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:05:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 27, 3:14 am, Frank <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 aug, 20:02, "Fabrice" <emouc..._at_spaminfonietest.fr> wrote:
>

> > Hello,
>
> > We are using Oracle 8i on the occasion of our professional application.
> > Today we have 2 solutions :
>
> > - migrate to an another application running with Sql Server.
>
> > or
>
> > - consolidate (for few years) our actual solution by migrating Oracle 8i to
> > a new version : It seems to be cheaper for us.
>
> > But I'm wondering to which version migrate : 9i, 10g or 11g.
>
> > Is it possible to migrate a complete schema from 8i to any of theses
> > versions : data, functions, triggers ....
> > I have heard that the standard version is free. Is it true and if yes what
> > are the limitations.
>
> > Thnaks for your help.
> > Fabrice.
>
> Why migrate at all? Just stay on your version if it meets your
> criteria.

I have to say, no offense intended, but staying on software that old is stupid on its face IMNSHO. Even if the criteria is met, the business either pays for unused support, only to have some disastrous event happen that is unfixable because the hardware and/or software is so old, or doesn't pay for support and has an even broader possibility for disaster. I have never seen a company (not to mention the government) properly analyze the risk and purposefully stay on old stuff - it is always some off-the-cuff "business decision" that only takes into account up-front costs. Also see the "software never fails" thread on comp.risks or risks.org.

Besides that, it misses the obvious point that criteria change, otherwise why would there be this thread at all?

Where are the lines between bleeding edge, stability, and stupid? Site-dependent. But to me, I would need explanation that being on 8 is not stupid.

> Oh - flamebait: MS Sql Server is *not* cheaper, it's about as costly
> as running Oracle. Of course, Oracle is the professionals choice.

No flame from me here, preaching to the choir :-)

But it does necessitate defining cheaper.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
What's in your database?  http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/26/steroids.ruling/index.html