Re: Migrating from 8i

From: Terry Dykstra <tddykstra_at_forestoil.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 18:37:28 GMT

"ddf" <oratune_at_msn.com> wrote in message news:caf9fe95-6623-41b5-a926-0771ff746973_at_d4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com... Comments embedded.

On Aug 26, 1:02 pm, "Fabrice" <emouc..._at_spaminfonietest.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are using Oracle 8i on the occasion of our professional application.
> Today we have 2 solutions :
>
> - migrate to an another application running with Sql Server.
>
> or
>
> - consolidate (for few years) our actual solution by migrating Oracle 8i
> a new version : It seems to be cheaper for us.
>
> But I'm wondering to which version migrate : 9i, 10g or 11g.

'9i' is desupported.
'10g' has a terminal release of 10.2.0.5, out, hopefully, sometime this year.
'11g' is the currently supported release.

Of course it also depends upon how well each release behaves with your application code. You would really need to test this thoroughly before embarking upon a migration.

> Is it possible to migrate a complete schema from 8i to any of theses
> versions : data, functions, triggers ....

Yes.

> I have heard that the standard version is free.

Sorry, no, the Standard edition is not free for production use.

> Is it true and if yes what
> are the limitations.

You can freely download and use any release of Oracle for a single user test, prototyping, demonstration or development environment. The End User License Agreement reads, in part:

"...
LICENSE RIGHTS
We grant you a nonexclusive, nontransferable limited license to use the programs only for the purpose of developing, testing, prototyping and demonstrating your application, and not for any other purpose. If you use the application you develop under this license for any internal data processing or for any commercial or production purposes, or you want to use the programs for any purpose other than as permitted under this agreement, you must obtain a production release version of the program by contacting us or an Oracle reseller to obtain the appropriate license. ..."

Since this is already a production application you cannot use the product free of charge.

> Thnaks for your help.
> Fabrice.

David Fitzjarrell

You can use XE for free.